Monday, April 16, 2012

The Mighty Ekhoffs

When the McBrothas were itty bitty things, I wrote them a song. Actually, I just ripped it off from a Frosted Flakes commercial. Some call that sampling. I know it's cheesy, but I think every family should have one cheesy, face palming tradition. For me, it's a song.

I used to sing the song more times a day than I care to admit. Most of time when I sang it, it would lull the McBrothas to sleep, or at least cut a tantrum short. Hey, gotta do what you gotta do, right?

I haven't sung the family song in a few weeks, but yesterday, when it was "supposed, alleged" nap time around the house, the boys were singing the family song!  It made feel all warm and fuzzy.





Everywhere we go

people want to know

who we are

'cause we are stars

we are The Ekhoffs

the mighty, mighty Ekhoffs.



I wrote this song when we were in the initial throes of poverty. I wrote it because in many ways I felt so small, insignificant, and hopeless. I guess singing that we were "mighty" gave me some kind of comfort. We are slowly climbing our way out, but every single day I am thankful for the struggle, and thankful for the strength it has brought our family.


No matter how hard things get, no matter what we go through as a family; I want the boys to remember we are a family. We are bonded not just by blood, but by love. I hope when they are old men they'll look back and think of the family song with fondness. I hope they teach it to their grandchildren...I hope my intergalactic great-grandchildren think it's the cheesiest thing they have ever heard!




The McBrothas in a stroller...with a bored tiger behind them.




9 comments:

  1. That is so cute.
    We have a number of songs we sing, but none that we've customized to make our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you gotta customize one...thank you for reading!!!

      Delete
  2. This is off topic, but I really wanted to find a way to tell you how much I appreciated your piece on CNN. Despite the idiotic views of some of the commentors, I hope that you will remember that no species has survived without diversifying. Those who want homogeny can have it. Eventually, their traits will disappear into the annals (spelling) of evolutionary literature. For those who joined hands and explored ALL OF OUR strengths, the world will just get better.

    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tangela,
    This isn't in relation to this particular blog, but I noticed your article: Opinion: Online anonymity is the new robe and hood of hatred.

    Thank you for such a beautifully written article. It made me realize that I was starting to become an online bully to the people I didn't agree with and you opened my eyes.

    I'm not a Christian, but your words were universal. It was past time someone pointed out the condition of the internet chat rooms and you were the perfect person for it.

    Thanks,
    Chase
    forrestfaun@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I was led here via your CNN article, which was beautifully written, and "spot on" as my half-British husband said. We are also an interracial couple like you and your husband, and I fear for the future my children have to live in on a daily basis. Thanks so much for telling it like it is....Cowards with Keyboards. Oh! And Imitation of Life is also one of my faves...the ending gets me every time :). Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just browsing through the internet looking for some information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more. Stove Repair In Beverly Hills

    ReplyDelete